Sunday, March 29, 2009

Creating Character: Agate by Joy Morgan Dey, illustrated by Nikki Johnson

We are what we read and I believe we can influence children for good if we show them through books strengths we desire them to acquire. One of my favorite story times is when I get to explain to children through stories just how wonderful they truly are. I just found a new book called Agate written by Joy Morgan Dey and illustrated by Nikki Johnson. It’s about a moose that sees his friends as precious jewels but cannot see his own beauty because it is hidden deep inside and needs to be polished to be found. My children loved it. Finding their own color, as it is based on birthstones, became a joy for them. The alligator was a garnet and the lion an emerald. There is power in the colors, drawings and words.

No comments:

Post a Comment