Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks, illustrated by Brock Cole

If I had to select one book to use to start reading aloud with, it would be this book. Innumerable times I have read this book to my children not only at bedtime but when they want something fun read to them. This story captivates their minds and holds on tight. I even find myself becoming lost amongst the characters. Omri, a young boy, receives a gift of a plastic Indian and while he loves plastic figures this one is not very interesting. He also receives an old cupboard from his brother for his birthday. With a key from his mother, these two gifts bring the plastic figure to life and the chaos that ensues brings so much joy and hassle to the boy. Life lessons are learned through the adventures the boy and his plastic or should I say, real Indian have together. Truly though, what child wouldn’t want to have just one of his toys become real?

1 comment:

  1. The Indian in the Cupboard is a timeless book that all children will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete