Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillof

I just finished reading this aloud to my children and discrepancies between the movie and book exist. I recommend your child read the book before watching the movie, which is quite charming. The Preacher, as she calls her father in the book, actually loves Winn-Dixie from the start and there is no landlord in the book that hates the dog. The rest of the story is followed well in the movie. I enjoyed this book as did my children. It is a simple tale and teaches about learning to see the heart of the person and “loving what you have while you’ve got it”. My children laughed out loud at parts signaling their enjoyment and now as my boy’s have shaved heads we call them “bald headed babies” just as Opal taunts the Dewberry brothers in the book. I love it when phrases from books we read become part of our daily vernacular. When you need a simple bedtime read aloud you could pull this delightful tale off the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment