Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Big Orange Splot by Daniel Manus Pinkwater

Read to me as a child, I believe I internalized the value of being myself and it stood me well through those teenage years. In this story, the houses on the street are all the same and everyone likes that until one day a seagull drops a bucket of orange paint on one man’s home. Everyone feels sorry for him but he takes this as an opportunity to create his home after himself. One by one the people come to visit him and after a night of discussion return home to make their homes after themselves, reinforcing the idea that we are all wonderful just the way we are. I have used this story many times on the first day of school to get to know my students, when I ask them to design their home. As a parent it fascinates me to see what my children select as their house after we read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment