Tuesday, April 7, 2009

For Sale by Shel Silverstein found in Where the Sidewalk Ends on pages 52-53

For Sale

One sister for sale!
One sister for sale!
One crying and spying young sister for sale!
I’m really not kidding,
So who’ll start the bidding?
Do I hear a dollar?
A nickel?
A penny?
Oh, isn’t there, isn’t there isn’t there any
One kid who will buy this old sister for sale,
This crying and spying young sister for sale?

I believe in having children memorize poems and this one my 2 year old memorized. I think she liked this one because we changed it from sister to brother and she thought that was hilarious. Since I read this as a child too, I know that the thought of being able to sell off my younger brothers appealed. The words are simple and they repeat. I have found that by reading it aloud to my kids multiple times that they will be able to repeat the words. We learn a few lines a day, perhaps only adding one more, until they are able to repeat it completely. Memorization is an important skill. My children pick up a knack for memorization early and I believe it is due to the poems we read. I will post some of our favorites and the books in which they can be found periodically. If you give them a chance I believe most children can memorize anything and the earlier they are taught this skill the better they will do in school.

1 comment:

  1. This is a delightful poem and many of us want to sell a sibling. I love all of the Shel Silverstein poems and read them aloud to all four of my children (the youngest is now 25), who can still recite many of the poems. Another favorite of ours is, "There's too many kids in this tub, there's too many kids in this tub, I just washed a behind, that I know isn't mine -- there's too many kids in this tub."

    ReplyDelete