Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

I have read this classic to my children when they were but five years old. The language is rich but the story fascinating, capturing their imaginations and hearts. When read to young children, the story often needs explanation but is worth the effort. I have read this one multiple times and find it is requested again. Stories where good triumphs over evil are always popular but when the characters are children then it becomes something even more special as children are often the powerless ones in this world. C.S. Lewis is a Christian writer and there is much symbolism that even the children can comprehend. My son, when I read this last was 7 and he understood and recognized by himself the lion as a symbol for Christ, enabling one to teach literary terms easily and at an early age using this selection

No comments:

Post a Comment