Monday, April 20, 2009

Maximize the Tub

Maximize the Tub

Since my children were infants, I have read aloud poems to them while they bathe. I believe that due to this constant inundation with words, repetition and rhyme, my children have developed over time a knack for memorization which served them well in oral presentations at school and talks at church. We read a vast amount of poetry but I have found that poems with illustrations work best. Reading even the masters works if the illustrations are done well. The Barefoot Book of Classic Poems by Jackie Morris is well illustrated and includes many of the great poems by Lewis Carroll, William Shakespeare, Lord Bryon, and John Milton. I love sharing beautiful messages through poetry with my children. We also enjoy laughing and the books by Alan Katz are favorites with my small children because they are poems written to familiar song tunes. Shel Silverstein is a stable in our household, where we use his poems in preschool for monthly memorization. Animals Animals is the same as the Barefoot Book, wherein they have complied famous poems and then Eric Carle, master illustrator creates a story to match the words. Since bathing children are a captive audience take advantage of that time and they will improve their vocabularies and memorization skills. It’s worth a try. In fact, my children will not come out of the tub until you have read them some poems. Here is a list of my favorite poetry books.

Antarctic Antics by Judy Sierra
A Family of Poems by Caroline Kennedy
The Barefoot Book of Classic Poems by Jackie Morris
Animals Animals by Eric Carle
Take me out of the bathtub by Alan Katz, illustrated by David Catrow
I'm still here in the bathtub by Alan Katz, illustrated by David Catrow
Smelly Locker by Alan Katz, illustrated by David Catrow
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

No comments:

Post a Comment