Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Monet and the Impressionists for Kids by Carol Sabbeth

Falling in love with art after a visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, I came home wondering how to teach my children and I more about art. I started scouring the shelves of the library and found this book, which is a jewel. I love the simplicity of the text as it tackles the Impressionist Era, Claude Monet, Pierre Auguste Renoir, Edgar Degas, Mary Cassatt, Paul Cezanne, Paul Gauguin, and Georges Seurat. Since it includes pictures of their art on every page the child’s imagination is captured as you read the text to them. I found that studying one artist at a time works best for my kids. The trick is that this book not only teaches you of the artist but also engages the reader by challenging you to be an impressionist. The activities in this book are fabulous in that they mirror an aspect of the impressionist and allow you to create your own art, some of it edible. We loved creating our own Monet garden by planting flowers in a pot to look at, admire and paint at home. We also painted cookies in the style of Seurat by using food coloring. What child wouldn’t love creating art like the masters?

No comments:

Post a Comment