Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown, illustrated by Clement Hurd

My son died too soon and would have had his birthday today. I’ve been thinking about what I would read to him first if I could hold him in my arms today. I would read The Runaway Bunny to him so that he could learn early and in a vivid manner that no matter where he went or what he did that I would love, support and help him find his way. The small bunny in this story wants to run away but no matter what he tries, from being a sailing ship or a flower, his mother finds a way to be near. My favorite scenario is when the bunny decides to be a bird and his mother says that she’ll be a tree for him to come home to. Every mother wants to create a safe harbor for their child so that they can fly and then have a soft landing when necessary. In the end, the bunny decides to not run away because he realizes that his mom would always be there anyway. I would buy this story for him in the board book form so that he could carry it around and eat the edges as all little ones do. Hopefully the message of unconditional love would seep deep into his soul cementing the knowledge of his mother’s love. Children love the hide and seek this book provides in illustration as the mom and bunny warp into different objects to tell the story. The Runaway Bunny is a timeless classic creating comfort for over 60 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment