Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Bad Beginning: A Series of Unfortunate Events: Book One by Lemony Snicket

This tale is as the author reminds us through the book a tale with no happy ending. We listened to it on our trip recently and the children appeared to enjoy it. Three children are suddenly orphaned, leaving no one behind who has their best interests at heart. The children must learn to work together to survive in horrific circumstances. Their new guardian, Count Olaf, is terrible and cares for the orphans only because of their significant fortune. My five year old was able to understand how Count Olaf was trying to win the fortune away from the children. I personally have never been able to sit and read these stories. I am afraid I am one of those who would like a happy ending but the story is well written and interesting. The children are intelligent, polite and caring. It teaches one to look for the silver lining even in a dark moment and to cling to family in difficult times. We enjoyed the story and didn’t hear a peep from the back while it was playing.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the beginning of the series but as they went on I only read them because I started the series. I think about book 7-8. 13 was too many for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a movie created based on this story, starring jim carrey

    ReplyDelete