Monday, July 26, 2010

Watership Down by Richard Adams

I wasn't sure what to expect when my book club announced this book and one of them asked, "Is that the book about rabbits?" It is indeed a book about rabbits who have some wonderful human qualities we should all possess. I enjoyed the book immensely. At first I was reading it as though it was written for adults and then I realized that Mr. Adams had written this book for his children because he couldn't find a good story to read to them at bedtime. That swung the book into my good favor. I fell in love with each rabbit and their particular qualities from Fiver and his intuition, to Hazel and his trust and courage to Bigwig and his strength and self-sacrificing moments. The end story, Efrafra was the best because of all the action. The rabbits have been forced from their home by humans and while they have found an ideal situation they have no females with them and are in desperate need or they will die out. They find a place with many females but have to go to great lengths to free some does for their warren. It is a wonderful tale and one that I think would make a good read-aloud. I can't wait to read it to my children. It is almost 500 pages though so we may have to break the reading up into the three books and read them at various times over the year. I think though that all children would love to meet this special group of rabbits and even emulate some of their amazing qualities.

No comments:

Post a Comment